Supermarket Digital Video End-Cap Attracts Shoppers and Increases Sales
One of the nation's largest grocery chains has implemented BrightSign's solid-state HD110 dynamic looping players to deliver digital signage to freezer end-caps in more than 680 locations nationwide. The project was designed and installed by ECI Communications Inc. and is used to display featured frozen food products and special offers from a variety of suppliers. The videos rotate in a loop to continually attract and keep customers' attention as products are highlighted.
Since the installation was completed, the grocery chain has experienced a significant growth in frozen food sales from the freezers with video signage - as much as 3 to 5 times more than sales from the conventional freezers. Customer response has been so positive that the ROI for this project was realized more quickly than anticipated.
"The technology and price point of the BrightSign line of digital controllers makes it possible for grocery stores of all sizes to gain a competitive edge today. They're easy to install and require almost no technical expertise outside of a 'drag and drop' function. Even people who don't have software training can create content, schedule displays and manage a BrightSign digital signage solution in minutes. And, because the solutions are based on solid-state technology, PC issues, including the 'blue screen of death,' rebooting and viruses are eliminated."- Robert Crozer, ECI Communications Owner
Design/Integration Team: ECI Communications, Inc.
Location: more than 680 supermarket locations nationwide
Project: Freezer "end-cap" digital signs deliver full-HD video and images on 26" commercial grade-screens mounted on top of freezers with the ultra-compact BrightSign HD110 digital media player discreetly hidden behind each screen.
One of the nation's largest grocery chains wanted to increase frozen food sales while offering customers a unique buying experience they wouldn't find in other grocery stores. The objective was to install video signage in every frozen food section above the freezers to attract customers' attention, advertise various brands and compel additional purchases.
- The video signage had to fit esthetically into the store's look and feel, yet stand out enough to make an impact on buying decisions.
- It also had to be easily controlled from a central location so that video content could be changed or added at any given time throughout the entire chain or in select stores depending on marketing and sales objectives.
- The video signage also had to be durable enough to withstand 24-7 playtimes as well as be tamper-proof so that the units could not be altered or stolen.
- BrightSign's compact design allowed it to be easily installed behind each video screen
- Corporate office is able to remotely upload video
- BrightAuthor software lets customer easily create playlists and set content to playback in a continuous loop
- BrightSign does not require any programming or maintenance
- BrightSign has no on/off switch and if a power outage were to occur, it will automatically reboot and begin playing again
- The video signage eliminated the hassles of manually changing the signage every week or every month and added a level of consistency and flexibility that wasn't easily managed before.
- The digital signage created an eye-catching display that not only attracts, but keeps customers' attention which could never be achieved with a static sign
- BrightSign is so simple to deploy and setup, that ECI was able to install the freezer digital signage in more than 680 locations in just over four weeks
- A 26" commercial grade-video monitor mounted on top of a freezer replaces the standard "end cap" and the ultra-compact BrightSign HD110 digital media players are discreetly hidden behind each video screen
- The digital signs playback 15-30 second video clips featuring frozen food products from a variety of manufacturers. The videos rotate in a loop to continually attract and keep customers' attention as they highlight products and educate consumers on the various brand features
- Since the digital signage has been installed, the grocery chain has experienced a significant growth in frozen food sales from the freezers with video signage - as much as 3-5 times more than sales from the conventional freezers
- Customer response has been so great that the ROI for this project was realized more quickly than anticipated
BrightSign, LLC is a privately held company located in Los Gatos, California founded in 2002 by Anthony Wood, the inventor of the digital video recorder (DVR) and Roku. BrightSign is the global market leader in digital signage media players, as named by IHS in its 2013, 2014 and 2015 "Global Market for Digital Signage" research studies which report market share of all media players and PC-based signage solutions combined. BrightSign players are known for their signature reliability, affordability and ease-of-use by the commercial digital signage market worldwide.